Wednesday, May 13, 2009

French Onion delight!


“You know how I feel about soup. It’s a side dish” ~ Keith Mars, Veronica Mars

Au contraire mon frére.

Check out this delightful French Onion soup, served up by the fine folks of the Mity Nice Grille. And get a load of the dish they used for presentation. I think a dish served up like this should have a choir singing in the background as the waiter walks it to your table.

French onion soup isn’t for everyone. It’s true that onions provide a great flavor for a variety of cuisine. But as a kid I really didn’t see the point to a soup full of onions. I mean come on. French fries, and French vanilla ice cream I could get behind, but onion soup? Pass.

As an adult I came to try out the soup again, and suddenly it was ‘mmm-mmm good’ to my taste buds.

Now, it could be the fact that as an adult I come to think of cheese as both delicious and deserving of its very own food group that makes me now love it even when it’s crossed with onions and soggy bread.

But my more optimistic self tends think it’s the types of cheese used combined with the type of onion, the dry white wine, and the bread that have won me over.

And I’m not alone in my love of this fine soup. Did you know that there is actually an entire web site devoted to French Onion Soup? Well there is! Check it out.

Bon appetite soupers!

No comments:

Post a Comment